In a previous lesson, students matched equations to compositions and decompositions of 10. In the first activity, students show many different compositions and decompositions of 10 with red and yellow counters. Students may know 5 and 5 as a way to compose and decompose 10, because this structure is highlighted when using fingers and 10-frames. In this lesson, students develop familiarity with other ways to compose 10. In the second activity, students determine how many counters are needed to fill a 10-frame.
- Find the number that makes 10 when added to a given number.
- Match equations to compositions and decompositions of 10.
- Llenemos tableros de 10 de diferentes maneras.
- Each group of 2 needs 1 cup and 10 two-color counters.
- Gather materials from:
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1–3
- Counting Collections, Stage 1
- Roll and Add, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|