Separemos los cubos
In previous lessons, students have composed and decomposed numbers and noticed that numbers can be composed and decomposed in more than one way. In this lesson, students decompose numbers in more than one way. In the first activity, students do this by snapping a tower of connecting cubes into 2 parts in different ways. In the second activity, students are given a written number rather than objects. Decomposing a number into parts in different ways deepens their understanding of numbers and their relationships (MP7).
- Action and Expression
- Compose and decompose numbers up to 9.
- Encontremos diferentes maneras de separar números.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- What's Behind My Back Stage 1 Recording Sheet, Spanish
- Each group of 2 needs 8 connecting cubes of the same color.
- Gather materials from:
- What’s Behind My Back?, Stage 1
- Check It Off, Stage 1
- Find the Value of Expressions, Stage 1
- Bingo, Stages 1–3
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1–3
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|