In previous lessons, students counted groups of up to 20 objects and groups of up to 10 images. Students composed and decomposed numbers 11–19 into 10 ones and some more ones. In this lesson, students find a group of 10 images inside a group of 11–19 images and then determine the total number of images. Throughout the section, students have access to a reference sheet that shows numbers 11–20 with dots in 10-frames that they can use to identify written numbers.
- Action and Expression
- Understand numbers 11–19 as ten ones and some more ones.
- Write a number to answer “how many” questions about groups of up to 19 images.
- Encontremos 10 figuras y averigüemos cuántas figuras hay.
- Students need access to at least 2 different colored crayons, colored pencils, or markers.
- Gather materials from:
- Find the Value of Expressions, Stage 1
- Make or Break Apart Numbers, Stages 1 and 2
- Bingo, Stages 1-4
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|