The purpose of this lesson is for students to count out a given number of objects.
Counting out objects requires students to remember which number they need to stop at while also matching each object with one number. In this lesson, students create multiple groups with the same number of objects that match written numbers.
- Action and Expression
Activity 1: Los ingredientes de la pizza
- Given a written number, count out a group of objects.
- Descubramos cuántos ingredientes necesitamos poner en nuestra pizza.
- Create a set of number cards from the blackline master for each group of 2. Remove the cards with 0 from the sets.
- Each group of 2 to 4 students needs a piece of chart paper with a number (1–10) written at the top.
- Gather materials from:
- Number Race, Stage 1
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Math Fingers, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
In the next lesson, students draw groups of images to represent numbers. What did you learn about each student in today’s activities that is helpful in planning for the counting activity tomorrow?