While some students may already be familiar with the positional words, students are formally introduced to the words above, below, next to, and beside. Students hear and use these words to describe the location of objects in the classroom. Students describe shapes made out of pattern blocks and use positional words to help their partner create the same shape. Listen to how students create an argument and use or revise their language to make their argument clear to others (MP3, MP6).
Activity 2: Conozcamos “Haz una como la mía: Fichas geométricas”
- Describe the location of shapes using positional words.
- Put shapes together to form larger shapes.
- Construyamos figuras que sean la misma.
- Gather materials from:
- Match Mine, Stage 1
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Build Shapes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1-5
- Less, Same, More, Stages 1-4
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|