This lesson gives students an opportunity to look at the shapes in artwork from different cultures. Students may recognize some shapes that they have worked with throughout this unit and may also describe and use shapes that they are unfamiliar with. After looking at different examples, students make their own artwork with shapes. The title of each piece of art is provided because students may be interested in learning more about the artwork and the cultures they represent. The teacher may choose other artwork to share with the class that includes shapes that students can recognize.
The activities in this lesson can be done over the course of 2 lessons to allow students more time to explore and discuss the provided artwork and create and share their own artwork.
- Action and Expression
- Describe shapes and the location of shapes.
- Put shapes together to form larger shapes.
- Encontremos figuras en el arte y usemos figuras para crear nuestras propias obras de arte.
- Each student needs cut out paper shapes.
- Gather materials from:
- Match Mine, Stage 1
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Build Shapes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1–5
- Less, Same, More, Stages 1–4
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|