Students are also introduced to the geometric terms circle and triangle. Students develop their intuitive understanding of circles and triangles. They may incorrectly identify shapes in this activity, such as identifying an oval as a circle. If this happens, acknowledge the similarities between the shapes (“Esta figura es curva como un círculo, pero no es un círculo” // “This shape is curved like a circle, but it is not a circle.”) As students sort examples and non-examples of triangles in the second activity, they continue to build their informal understanding of what a triangle is.
Activity 2: Clasificación de triángulos
- Identify, describe, and compare circles and triangles.
- Aprendamos los nombres de algunas figuras.
Each student needs at least 2 different colored crayons or colored pencils.
- Cut out triangle cards from the blackline master. Each group of 4 needs 1 set of cards.
- Gather materials from:
- Which One, Stage 1
- Picture Books, Stages 1-3
- Bingo, Stages 1 and 2
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|