The purpose of this lesson is for students to represent numbers 11–19 with equations.
In previous lessons students composed and decomposed numbers 11–19 with 10 ones and some more ones. They saw numbers 11–19 represented with written numbers, phrases such as “10 y 2” // “10 and 2,” expressions, and equations. In this lesson, students interpret equations and fill in the missing numbers to complete equations for numbers 11–19 (MP2).
- Action and Expression
- Represent numbers 11–19 with equations.
- Escribamos ecuaciones para mostrar números del 11 al 19.
Materials to Gather
- Gather materials from:
- Make or Break Apart Numbers, Stages 1 and 2
- Bingo, Stages 1-4
- Number Race, Stages 1 and 2
- Grab and Count, Stage 1
- Tower Build, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
What opportunities are you giving students to reflect on their understanding of the mathematical content?