This lesson is optional because it is an opportunity for extra practice interpreting diagrams and adding and subtracting within 100 that not all classes may need. In the first activity, students learn stage 5 of the Math Stories center, which was last introduced in grade 1. In this new stage, called Tape Diagrams, students interpret tape diagrams and create their own story problems to solve. Then, students choose a center based on what they need to practice. Students may continue to choose stages that provide additional practice adding and subtracting two-digit numbers or may choose the stages that provide fluency practice with addition and subtraction within 20.
As needed, revisit and reinforce the structures and norms for centers that were established in previous lessons.
- Add and subtract within 100.
- Interpret diagrams.
- Solve one-step story problems.
- Usemos diagramas para hacer nuestros propios problemas-historia y resolverlos.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Math Stories Stage 5 Recording Sheet, Spanish
- Math Stories Stage 5 Tape Diagrams
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
Gather materials from:
- Target Numbers, Stages 4 and 5
- Capture Squares, Stages 3 and 4
- Five in a Row, Stage 6
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|