Sumemos y restemos hasta 100
In previous lessons, students explored different methods for addition and subtraction with and without composing or decomposing a ten. Students used base-ten blocks, drawings, and equations to represent their methods.
In this lesson, students choose their preferred methods and representations to add and subtract. Throughout the lesson, students are asked to connect expressions and diagrams, choose their own methods for adding and subtracting, and make sense of others thinking (MP2, MP3, MP6). Listen for the ways students explain their methods to others and look for ways to help students provide feedback to one another when their representations or explanations are not clear.
- Add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, including composing and decomposing a ten, and the properties of operations.
- Encontremos la diferencia a nuestra manera.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Sort and Find the Value
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2–3.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Capture Squares (1–3), Stage 3: Add within 20 (Addressing)
- Five in a Row: Addition and Subtraction (1–2), Stage 6: Add within 100 with Composing (Addressing)
- Target Numbers (1–5), Stage 4: Subtract Tens or Ones (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|