Expliquemos cómo contamos
The purpose of this lesson is for students to count collections of objects. The focus is for students to show and explain how they counted to a partner.
In the Questions About Us routine, students brainstorm different ways to represent how many students are at school today. Students then count objects in different collections in a way that makes sense to them and share how they counted the collection with a partner. The second activity is an optional activity that provides support in matching each object with one number.
- Count collections of objects.
- Explain how they counted to a partner.
- Contemos colecciones de objetos y digámosle a nuestros compañeros cómo contamos.
Materials to Gather
- Gather materials from:
- Connecting Cubes, Stages 1, 2, and 3
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1, 2, and 3
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Picture Books, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Who got to do math today in class and how do you know? Identify the norms or routines that allowed those students to engage in mathematics. How can you adjust these norms and routines so all students do math tomorrow?