In previous lessons, students estimated and measured weights and liquid volumes. They learned a variety of methods and representations to solve problems involving all four operations, and used representations that made sense to them.
In this lesson, students make sense of tape diagrams (MP2), which better represent the continuous nature of measurement contexts. The context of a fair is used in this lesson and subsequent ones.
Activity 1: Giant Pumpkin Event
- Ask and answer questions about situations involving measurements.
- Interpret representations of situations involving measurements.
- Let’s make sense of and represent measurement situations at the fair.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Card Sort: Giant Pumpkins
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Number Puzzles: Addition and Subtraction (1–4), Stage 5: Within 1,000 (Supporting)
- Target Numbers (1–5), Stage 7: Subtract Hundreds, Tens, or Ones (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|