The purpose of this lesson is for students to consider quantities and questions that make sense in situations and solve problems accordingly.
In earlier lessons, students encountered and solved problems about time and liquid volume. In this lesson, students model with mathematics (MP4) as they determine quantities, questions, and solutions that make sense in given situations and adhere to mathematical and real-world constraints when solving problems.
- Reason about quantities, questions, and solutions that make sense in measurement problems.
- Solve one-step word problems involving time and liquid volume.
- Let’s think about what numbers and questions make sense in problems.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
This lesson pushed students to make sense of problems in new ways, by filling in numbers that make sense and generating questions that could match. How did you see students persevering in these tasks?
- Compare (1–5), Stage 3: Multiply within 100 (Supporting)
- How Close? (1–5), Stage 5: Multiply to 100 (Supporting)