Put Together, Total Unknown problems have no action, and students must determine that the two addends must be joined to make the total. Students have solved Put Together, Total Unknown story problems in kindergarten as well as through data contexts in the last unit. The first activity uses the Three Reads routine to help students better understand the story problem and how the quantities are related. The second activity introduces the idea that the two addends can be written in either order and that they each represent a specific part of the story.
- Solve Put Together, Total Unknown story problems in a way that makes sense to them.
- Write an equation and explain why it matches a story problem.
- Resolvamos problemas y escribamos ecuaciones.
- Gather materials from previous centers:
- Math Stories, Stage 4
- Find the Pair, Stage 2
- What's Behind My Back, Stage 2
Teacher Reflection Questions
Identify ways the math community you are working to foster is going well. What aspects would you like to work on? What actions can you take to improve those areas?