In this lesson, students use their understanding of place value to determine a secret number and justify why the number matches the clues. When students solve the riddles, they have opportunities to look for and make use of the base-ten structure of numbers (MP7). In the synthesis, students discuss and solve a number riddle.
If students need additional support with the concepts in this lesson, refer back to Unit 4, Section B in the curriculum materials.
- Apply place value understanding to solve number riddles.
- Resolvamos acertijos numéricos.
- My number has more than 6 tens.
- My number is less than 100.
- My number has 8 tens.
- My number is the sum of \(51 + 32\).
- Create enough riddles from the Number Riddle Cards so each group of 2 students can have a different riddle. Fold the gray cards. Place each set of clues in a bag or envelope and label based on the letter of the riddle.
Teacher Reflection Questions
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements
|Lesson Cover Page
|Teacher Presentation Materials