Warm-up: Conteo grupal: Contemos de 10 en 10 (10 minutes)
The purpose of this warm-up is for students to count by 10 to 100. Although students see the written sequence of numbers, they are not required to identify numbers beyond 20 until Grade 1.
- Display numbers from 1 to 100.
- “Contemos hasta 100” // “Let’s count to 100.”
- Point to the numbers as students count to 100.
- “Ahora contemos de 10 en 10 hasta 100” // “Now let’s count to 100 by 10.”
- Demonstrate counting by 10 to 100, pointing to each number as you count.
- “Contemos todos de 10 en 10 hasta 100” // “Let’s all count to 100 by 10.”
- Have students repeat the count multiple times.
- “Por turnos, cuenten de 10 en 10 hasta 100 con su pareja” // “Take turns counting to 100 by 10 with your partner.”
Activity 1: Hagamos un modelo del salón (15 minutes)
The purpose of this activity is to make a model of the classroom using solid shapes (MP4). To do this, students need to:
- choose important objects to represent.
- decide which shapes to use to represent the objects.
- place the shapes appropriately to represent where things are in the classroom.
The purpose of the activity synthesis is to share some of the objects students chose to represent and how they represented them.
Supports accessibility for: Organization, Conceptual Processing
- Groups of 2
- Give students access to solid shapes and geoblocks.
- “Van a usar figuras sólidas para hacer un modelo del salón” // “You are going to use solid shapes to make a model of the classroom.”
- “Piensen en qué objetos quieren representar y cómo los van a representar” // “Think about which objects you want to represent and how you will represent them.”
- 10 minutes: independent work time
- As they work, allow students to walk around the classroom so that they can look at objects they want to represent.
Advancing Student Thinking
If students are unsure which objects in the classroom to represent, consider asking:
- “Si tuvieras que contarle algo sobre tu salón a alguien que nunca lo ha visitado, ¿qué le dirías?” // “If you had to tell someone about our classroom who has never been here before, what would you tell them?”
- Choose one object and ask “¿Como podrías representar _____ con las figuras sólidas?” // “How could you represent _____ with the solid shapes?”
- Invite selected students to share their classroom models.
- “¿Cuáles objetos del salón de clase representó ___?” // “Which objects in the classroom did ___ represent?”
- “¿Qué figura usó ____ para representar un pupitre?” // “What shape did ____ use to represent a desk?”
Activity 2: Agreguemos cosas o cambiemos el modelo del salón (15 minutes)
The purpose of this activity is for students to revise their classroom models. Students go on a gallery walk to see the models of their classmates. Describing their model to their peers and seeing other models helps students develop ideas for how to add to or change their model (MP3).
- “Cuando un compañero vea su modelo, cuéntenle todo sobre él y lo que las figuras representan” // “When a classmate comes to your model, tell them all about your model and what the shapes represent.”
- Invite half of the class to stand by their models while the other half walks around.
- 5 minutes: gallery walk
- Switch groups.
- 5 minutes: gallery walk
- “¿Hubo cosas que vieron en los modelos de sus compañeros que les hayan dado una idea sobre cosas para agregar o cambiar en su modelo?” // “Were there any things that you saw in your classmates’ models that gave you an idea for things you want to add to or change about your model?”
- 1 minute: quiet think time
- 2 minutes: partner discussion
- Share responses.
- “Trabajen en su modelo” // “Work on your model.”
- 4 minutes: independent work time
- Monitor for changes students make to their models including changing the shapes that they use, changing the relative position of the shapes, or putting in more shapes to represent additional features.
- Invite selected students to share changes that they made to their models and why they made them.
Activity 3: Centros: Momento de escoger (15 minutes)
The purpose of this activity is for students to choose from activities that offer practice with number and shape concepts.
Students choose from any stage of previously introduced centers.
- Build Shapes
- Counting Collections
- Match Mine
- Shake and Spill
Materials to Gather
- Gather materials from:
- Build Shapes, Stages 1-3
- Geoblocks, Stages 1-4
- Counting Collections, Stage 1
- Match Mine, Stages 1 and 2
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1-4
- “Hoy vamos a escoger un centro de los que ya conocemos” // “Today we are going to choose from centers we have already learned.”
- Display the center choices in the student book.
- “Piensen qué les gustaría hacer” // “Think about what you would like to do.”
- 30 seconds: quiet think time
- Invite students to work at the center of their choice.
- 10 minutes: center work time
Escoge un centro.
Bloques sólidos geométricos
Haz una como la mía
Revuelve y saca
- “¿En cuáles centros les gustaría seguir trabajando en la siguiente unidad? ¿Hay otros centros que les gustaría intentar?” // “Which centers do you want to keep working with in our next unit? Are there other centers that you’d like to try?”
“En esta unidad, contamos, comparamos y construimos con figuras planas y sólidas” // “In this unit, we counted, compared, and built with flat and solid shapes.”
Display a variety of materials from this unit, such as pattern blocks, flat shape cards, solid shapes, geoblocks, and real-world examples of solid shapes.
“Digan algo en lo que mejoraron aún más en esta unidad. ¿Qué hicieron que les ayudó a mejorar?” // “What is something that you got even better at in this unit? What did you do to help yourself get better at it?”
Cool-down: Unidad 7, punto de chequeo de la sección B (0 minutes)
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool-Downs.
Student Section Summary
En esta sección, describimos, comparamos y creamos figuras sólidas.
Encontramos ejemplos de figuras sólidas en nuestro alrededor.
Usamos figuras sólidas para construir cosas y describimos lo que hicimos.