The purpose of this lesson is for students to compose numbers using 10 ones and some more ones.
Students write a number to represent a quantity greater than 10 for the first time. Students use full 10-frames and some more to identify and create numbers 11–19. Students may count all of the dots or counters to determine the teen number, or they may count on from 10. Counting on to determine the total is not an expectation in kindergarten.
- Action and Expression
- Compose and decompose numbers 11–19 using 10 ones and some more ones.
- Let’s make numbers with full 10-frames and some more.
- Each student needs 1 card from the blackline master.
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
- Gather materials from:
- Number Race, Stages 1 and 2
- Grab and Count, Stage 1
- Find the Pair, Stage 1
- Tower Build, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
If you were to teach this lesson over again, what activity would you redo? How would your proposed changes support student learning?