Multipliquemos múltiplos de diez
The work of this lesson connects to previous work because students have used strategies based on properties of operations to multiply within 100. Now, students extend this work and consider place value to multiply one-digit numbers by multiples of 10. Students complete a problem in context in which they explore how 180 can be grouped into multiples of ten in different ways. Students analyze two strategies for multiplying a single-digit number by a multiple of ten, then complete similar problems using the strategy of their choice. Throughout the lesson the associative property is used as a strategy to think of problems like \(3 \times 60\) as 18 tens or \(18 \times 10\).
When students decompose multiples of ten in different ways as a strategy to multiply, they are looking for and making use of structure (MP7).
- Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10 using strategies based on place value and the properties of operations.
- Multipliquemos números de un dígito por múltiplos de 10.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Centimeter Grid Paper - Standard
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Compare (1–5), Stage 3: Multiply within 100 (Addressing)
- How Close? (1–5), Stage 5: Multiply to 100 (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|