Center Day 3
The purpose of this lesson is to practice working with numbers to 120 and measuring lengths.
In the first activity, students learn stage 3 of the Counting Collections center. In this new stage, students count and represent collections of up to 120 objects. In the second activity, students choose between two previously introduced centers focused on measuring and writing numbers.
- Count groups of up to 120 objects and write a number to represent them.
- Measure length by iterating same-size length units without gaps or overlaps.
- Read and write numbers to 120.
- Let’s practice counting, measuring lengths, and writing numbers.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Counting Collections Stage 3 Recording Sheet
- Create a collection of up to 120 objects per group of 2 students (buttons, two-color counters, linking cubes, paper clips, pattern blocks, square tiles).
- Gather materials from:
- Write Numbers, Stages 1–3
- Estimate and Measure, Stage 1
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Think about a time you recently made a mistake during math class. How did you leverage your mistake to show students that mistakes are just learning in process?