In previous grades, students learned to find the number that makes 10 when added to a given number and to make a ten to add within 20 and 100. The ability to look for and use sums that have a value of 10 is a foundational skill for the grade 2 benchmark of fluency within 20 and for adding and subtracting within 1,000 using methods based on place value.
In this lesson, students revisit a center activity, What's Behind My Back, and use connecting cubes to elicit their understanding of sums that a value of 10 and the relationship between addition and subtraction. Students will continue practice recognizing and using these sums in lesson activities throughout the unit.
Tell students they will have an opportunity to revise their math community ideas at the end of this lesson, so as they work today they should think about actions that may be missing from the current list.
- Action and Expression
Activity 2: Sums of 10
- Find the number that makes equations within 20 true.
- Write equations with unknown addends and sums of 10 and their related subtraction equations.
- Let’s think about the relationship between addition and subtraction.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- What's Behind My Back Stage 2 Recording Sheet Grade 1
- Gather a tower of 10 connecting cubes to use in the launch.
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Number Puzzles: Addition and Subtraction (1–4), Stage 1: Within 10 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements
|Lesson Cover Page
|Teacher Presentation Materials