Non-unit Fractions on the Number Line
The purpose of this lesson is for students to locate non-unit fractions on the number line.
Previously, students built non-unit fractions from unit fractions with diagrams and fraction strips. Now, students deepen their understanding of fractions on the number line as they locate and label non-unit fractions. Students also discuss how they know when fractions are less than 1 or greater than 1 and are introduced to the terminology numerator and denominator.
Activity 2: Fractions on the Number Line
- Locate non-unit fractions on the number line (including fractions greater than 1).
- Let’s locate non-unit fractions on the number line.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Number Line Scoot Stage 2 Directions
- Number Line Scoot Stage 2 Gameboard
- Each group of 2 students needs a number cube.
- Each student needs at least 5 base-ten cubes to use as game pieces.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Who has been sharing their ideas in class lately? Make a note of students whose ideas have not been featured in class and look for an opportunity for them to share their thinking in tomorrow’s lesson.
- Secret Fraction (3), Stage 1: Building Non-Unit Fractions (Addressing)
- Number Line Scoot (2–3), Stage 2: Halves, Thirds and Fourths (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|