Attributes that Define Shapes
The purpose of this lesson is for students to describe geometric attributes of shapes.
Students ask yes or no questions about geometric attributes to identify a “mystery quadrilateral.” Students will need their quadrilateral cards from the previous lesson to hide in the mystery quadrilateral folder and will have access to the quadrilaterals in their workbook to support them in questioning, guessing, and ruling out quadrilaterals in the table. Also, it may be helpful to provide counters that students can use to cover quadrilaterals that they rule out with their questioning.
- Describe and identify shapes using their distinguishing attributes.
- Let’s play Mystery Quadrilateral.
Materials to Gather
- Gather a set of quadrilateral cards from the previous lesson.
- Each group of 2 needs a set of quadrilateral cards from the previous lesson.
- Each group of 2 will need a folder to hide the card during this activity.
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Identify who participated in math class today. What assumptions are you making about those who did not participate?
- Can You Draw It? (1–5), Stage 2: Grade 2 Shapes (Supporting)
- How Are They the Same? (1–5), Stage 2: Grade 2 Shapes (Supporting)
- Which One? (K–5), Stage 3: Grade 2 Shapes (Supporting)