Students are introduced to a new routine called Questions About Us. In this version, they figure out how many students are in the classroom today. Students then count objects in different collections in a way that makes sense to them. The second activity is an optional activity that provides support in orally counting to 10. Throughout the section, observe students for the look-fors on the Unit 1, Sections A-D Checkpoint.
- Action and Expression
Activity 1: Counting Collections
- Count collections of objects.
- Say one number for each object.
- Let’s count collections of objects.
- Based on their formative assessment data, each student needs:
- collection of 1–5 objects
- collection of 6–10 objects
- collection of more than 10 objects (optional)
- Gather materials from:
- Connecting Cubes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Picture Books, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Each lesson in this section includes an optional activity with additional support in developing counting concepts. What have you observed that indicates whether or not students may benefit from these activities?