How Many Are There? (Part 2)
The purpose of this lesson is for students to count collections of objects. The focus is keeping track of which objects have been counted.
Students figure out how many students are in class during Questions About Us routine. Students then count objects in different collections in a way that makes sense to them. The second activity is an optional activity that provides support in pairing the verbal count sequence with objects.
- Count collections of objects.
- Keep track of objects that have been counted.
- Let’s count collections of objects.
Materials to Gather
Each students needs a bucket or container to place their objects in as they count them.
- Gather materials from:
- Connecting Cubes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1, 2, and 3
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Picture Books, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
In the next unit, students will count groups of images in different arrangements. How does the work in this lesson help prepare students to count images?