In a previous lesson, students subitized, or determine how many without counting, small groups of things in picture books. In this lesson, students continue their work with subitizing as they recognize and name small groups of objects in the classroom without counting. Although some students may count to determine how many in larger groups of objects, the focus is on finding small groups of objects that can be recognized and named without counting. This lesson helps students gain familiarity with their classroom and encourages them to mathematize their environment (MP4).
In a future lesson, students will create their own picture books to show quantities that they identified in the classroom.
- Describe to a partner how they saw groups of objects or images.
- Recognize and name the number of objects or images in groups of up to 4 without counting.
- Let’s look for groups of objects in the classroom.
Materials to Gather
- Gather materials from:
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Connecting Cubes, Stages 1 and 2
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Picture Books, Stage 1
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|