This lesson builds on the work of previous lessons where students recognized small groups of things without counting and matched groups with the same quantity. In this lesson, students create a page in a picture book where they record many different groups of objects with the same quantity that they see in the classroom. Students can make more picture book pages in centers in this and future lessons.
In the lesson synthesis, students practice saying the verbal count sequence to 10 in preparation for counting objects in an upcoming section. Add variety to the counting by adding movement. For example, students can count as they clap, stomp their feet, or jump.
- Action and Expression
Activity 2: Introduce Picture Books, Create
- Identify groups of objects or images with the same quantity without counting.
- Recognize and name the number of objects or images in groups of up to 4 without counting.
- Let’s make picture books about our classroom.
- Gather materials from:
- Connecting Cubes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Picture Books, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|