Connect Quantities and Numbers
The purpose of this lesson is for students to connect quantities to written and spoken numbers.
In previous sections, students connected quantities to spoken number words. In this lesson, students connect groups of objects to written and spoken numbers. A reference sheet is provided for students who do not yet recognize all of the written numbers. Students can determine how many dots there are to figure out which number it is.
- Action and Expression
- Match spoken and written numbers and groups of objects.
- Let’s figure out which groups of objects go with which numbers.
Materials to Gather
- Bags (brown paper)
- Collections of objects
- Colored pencils, crayons, or markers
- Connecting cubes
- Materials from previous centers
Materials to Copy
- Number Race Stage 1 Recording Sheet for Writing
- Reference Sheet Numbers (1–10) with 5-Frames
- Number Mat 1-10
- Each group of 4 needs 4 bags. One bag each with: 5 objects, 7 objects, 8 objects, and 9 objects.
- Each group of 4 needs 1 bag of 1-10 objects labelled with a letter.
- Gather materials from:
- Number Race, Stage 1
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Which centers from this unit can be used to support students in building an understanding that the arrangement of objects does not change the quantity?