The purpose of this lesson is for students to compare numbers 1–10.
Students can compare numbers in any way that makes sense to them. Students may:
- create groups of objects or draw groups of images and match to compare.
- use the count sequence to compare.
- begin to automatically know which numbers are less or more than a given number.
- Action and Expression
- Compare numbers 1–10.
- Let’s figure out which number is more and which is less.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Number Mat 1-10
- Gather materials from:
- Less, Same, More, Stages 1-4
- Math Libs, Stage 1
- Number Race, Stage 1
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
As you finish up this unit, reflect on the norms and activities that have supported each student in learning math. List ways you have seen each student grow as a young mathematician throughout this work. List ways you have seen yourself grow as a teacher. What will you continue to do and what will you improve upon in Unit 3?