Make Groups of More, Fewer, or the Same
The purpose of this lesson is for students to make groups that have more, fewer, or the same number of objects as another group.
Students build on their work of identifying groups that have more, fewer, or the same number of objects as another group. Students learn stages of two centers where they make groups with more, fewer, or the same number as a given group with objects and fingers. Students continue to practice using comparison language during the activities.
- Make groups that have more, fewer, or the same number of objects than another group.
- Let’s make groups of objects that have more, fewer, or the same number of objects as another group.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Less, Same, More Mat
- Math Fingers Cards
- Each group of 2 needs at least 2 collections of between 2 and 9 objects.
- Gather materials from:
- Less, Same, More, Stage 1
- Number Race, Stage 1
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1 and 2
- Math Fingers, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1-3
- Picture Books, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
How did the work of the previous lesson lay the foundation for students to be successful in the first activity of this lesson?