In previous lessons, students connected expressions to drawings and used drawings to help find the value of expressions. In previous sections and lessons, students developed their understanding of the meaning of zero as they solved story problems with a result of 0 and found the value of expressions where 0 is added or subtracted and where 0 is the result. In this lesson, students fill in expressions to represent 0 and 1 being added to a group of images and find the total. While students find the value of the expressions in the first activity, they may notice, through repeated reasoning, the pattern that the number stays the same when 0 are added and that the total is the next counting number when 1 is added (MP7, MP8). In the second activity, students notice and discuss these patterns.
Activity 2: Notice + 0 and + 1 Patterns
- Understand that adding 0 results in the same number.
- Understand that adding 1 results in the next number in the count sequence.
- Let’s see what happens when we add 0 or 1.
- Each group of 2 needs 1 connecting cube.
- Gather materials from:
- Roll and Add, Stages 1 and 2
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1-3
- Number Race, Stage 1
- Math Stories, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|