In a previous lesson, students created their own dot images and identified different compositions and decompositions of numbers to 5. In this lesson, students work with dominoes. Students sort dominoes by total, which encourages them to recognize different compositions and decompositions of numbers to 5 and think about both the parts and the total at the same time. Students also compare the number of dots on the dominoes.
If students need additional support with the concepts in this lesson, refer back to Unit 5, Section B in the curriculum materials.
Activity 2: Compare Dots on Dominoes
- Recognize compositions and decompositions of numbers to 5.
- Let’s sort different ways to make numbers to 5.
- Create a set of domino cards from the blackline master for each group of 2. If actual dominoes are available, give students the dominoes which show a total of 5 or less.
- Each group of 2 needs the domino cards from the previous activity.
- Gather materials from:
- Roll and Add
- Find the Value of Expressions
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|