Addition and Subtraction Expressions within 5
The purpose of this lesson is for students to develop fluency with adding and subtracting within 5.
Students move around the room as they find the value of expressions. Students also compare totals and differences of expressions.
If students need additional support with the concepts in this lesson, refer back to Unit 4, Section C in the curriculum materials.
- Add and subtract within 5.
- Let’s add and subtract within 5.
Materials to Gather
- Each student needs one card from the Expression Cards set used in a previous lesson.
- Label each corner of the classroom with a large number: 2, 3, 4, and 5.
- Each group of 2 needs a set of Expression Cards from a previous lesson.
- Gather materials from:
- Roll and Add
- Find the Value of Expressions
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
At what points during the lesson did you learn the most about your students’ thinking? What structures made those points most valuable in learning about your students? How will you use what you learned in tomorrow’s lesson?