Students write story problems using given mathematical information: either an equation, or a number in an equation. In previous lessons, students solved a variety of story problems, matched equations with unknowns to story problems, and wrote equations to match story problems. In Activity 1, students build on their understanding of equations with unknowns by writing story problems that match an equation. In Activity 2, students write story problems that match a given answer. This lesson is the first time students write story problems to match equations or the answer to an equation.
- Write a story problem to match an equation.
- Escribamos problemas-historia que correspondan a ecuaciones.
- Gather materials from previous centers:
- Capture Squares, Stages 1 and 2
- Shake and Spill, Stages 3 and 4
- What's Behind My Back, Stage 2
Teacher Reflection Questions
Think about which students haven’t shared their thinking in class lately. Were there missed opportunities to highlight their thinking during recent lessons? How can you take advantage of those opportunities when they arise?