The purpose of this lesson is for students to work with two-dimensional and three-dimensional shapes as well as practice addition and subtraction.
In the first activity, students learn stage 2 of the Match Mine center, which was first introduced in kindergarten. In this new stage, called Solid Shapes, students put shapes together to make larger objects. Students then describe their object to a partner who tries to make a matching shape. In the second activity, students choose from previously introduced centers focused on shapes or addition and subtraction.
- Add and subtract within 20.
- Compose objects using solid shapes and describe the objects.
- Find, describe, and compare shapes.
- Trabajemos con figuras y sumemos o restemos números.
- Gather materials from previous centers:
- Picture Books, Stage 2
- How Are They the Same, Stage 1
- Capture Squares, Stages 1 and 2
Teacher Reflection Questions
Reflect on how comfortable your students are asking questions of you and of each other. What can you do to encourage students to ask questions?