This lesson is optional because it is an opportunity for extra practice that not all classes may need. In Activity 1, students learn stage 2 of the Sort and Display center, which was first introduced in grade 1. In this new stage, called Picture or Bar Graphs, students sort 20–30 objects into 3 categories and make a picture or bar graph that shows how they sorted. In Activity 2, students choose between two previously introduced centers focused addition and subtraction.
- Practice adding and subtracting within 10 or 20.
- Practice adding within 50.
- Represent data using picture and bar graphs.
- Clasifiquemos una colección y hagamos gráficas para representarla.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Sort and Display Stage 2 Recording Sheet, Spanish
Each group of 2 needs a collection of 20–30 objects that could be sorted into at least 3 categories. Examples: pattern blocks, cubes, sets of books, or a combination of blocks, cubes, and counters.
Gather materials from :
- What's Behind My Back, Stages 2 and 3
- How Close, Stages 1–3
- Number Puzzles, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Reflect on how comfortable your students are asking questions of you and of each other. What can you do to encourage students to ask questions?