In this lesson, students use their understanding of bar graphs to make sense of a new representation, the tape diagram. The tape diagram is a representation that can be used by students to represent story problems. Students will use tape diagrams in grade 2 and throughout elementary, middle, and high school.
Activity 1: Hora de festejar (parte 1)
- Solve Compare problems with an unknown difference within 20.
- Use understanding of bar graphs to make sense of tape diagrams.
- Usemos gráficas de barras y diagramas para resolver problemas de comparación.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Sort and Display (1–3), Stage 2: Picture or Bar Graphs (Addressing)
- Shake and Spill (K–2), Stage 5: Cover (up to 20) (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|