Día 3 de centros (optional)
The purpose of this lesson is for students to count large groups of objects by creating smaller groups of 5 or 10. Students practice adding within 50 or representing data with graphs.
This lesson is optional because it is an opportunity for extra practice that not all classes may need. In Activity 1, students revisit stage 3 of the Counting Collections, which was first introduced in Kindergarten. In this stage, called Estimate and Count Up to 120, students count collections of up to 120 objects and represent how they counted. In Activity 2, students choose between two previously introduced centers focused on adding and subtracting within 50 or representing data with graphs.
- Count large collections of objects.
- Practice adding within 50.
- Represent data using picture and bar graphs.
- Contemos grupos grandes de objetos y practiquemos hacer gráficas y sumar jugando.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Counting Collections Stage 3 Recording Sheet, Spanish
- 10-Frame Standard
- Each group of 2 needs a collection of 100–120 objects.
Gather materials from:
- What's Behind My Back, Stages 2 and 3
- How Close, Stages 1–3
- Number Puzzles, Stages 1 and 2
- Sort and Display, Stage 2
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
What did students show you they understand about place value in today’s lesson? How can you use what you learned today about your students in your upcoming lessons?