In previous lessons, students learned to find the area and perimeter of rectangles. In this lesson, students draw rectangles with a specified perimeter, find their areas, and notice that rectangles with the same perimeter do not always have the same area. Students then draw rectangles with specific perimeter that have different areas.
Activity 2: Mismo perímetro, diferente área
- Draw rectangles with the same perimeter and different areas.
- Exploremos rectángulos que tienen el mismo perímetro.
- Create 4 visual displays. Each visual display should be labeled with a different perimeter. Use the following perimeters: 12 units, 20 units, 26 units, 34 units).
- Students cut out and tape their rectangles on one of the visual displays during this activity.
Teacher Reflection Questions
Who has been sharing their ideas in class lately? Make a note of students whose ideas have not been featured in class and look for an opportunity for them to share their thinking in tomorrow’s lesson.
- Can You Draw It? (1–5), Stage 4: Area and Perimeter (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements
|Lesson Cover Page
|Teacher Presentation Materials