In the Questions About Us routine, students brainstorm different ways to represent how many students are at school today. Students then ask and answer “how many” questions as they count objects in different collections in a way that makes sense to them. The second activity is an optional activity that provides support in matching each object with one number.
- Answer “how many” questions.
- Count collections of objects.
- Contemos para descubrir cuántos objetos hay en nuestras colecciones.
- Gather materials from:
- Connecting Cubes, Stages 1 and 2
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1, 2, and 3
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Picture Books, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
In this lesson, students had access to a 5-frame and a counting mat to help them organize and count their collections. How did students use the 5-frame or counting mat to keep track of which objects have been counted? If they did not use the 5-frame or counting mat, how did they keep track of which objects have been counted?