In previous lessons, students learned the difference between flat and solid shapes and compared the weight or capacity of objects. In this lesson, students are introduced to the names for cubes, cones, spheres, and cylinders as they build shapes out of clay. While the mathematical names are introduced in this lesson, students are not expected to use the names of solid shapes. Students continue to use their own language to describe the attributes and parts of solid shapes.
- Action and Expression
- Use their own language to describe solid shapes.
- Hagamos y describamos figuras sólidas.
- Each group of 2 students needs solid shapes and a set of Flat Shapes Cards from a previous lesson.
- Gather a ball, a can, a number cube, and an ice cream cone and cut out 1 set of Examples of Flat Shapes cards to display.
- Each group of 2 students needs 4–6 different solid shapes.
- Gather materials from:
- Geoblocks, Stages 1-3
- Counting Collections, Stage 1
- Match Mine, Stage 1
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1-4
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|