The purpose of this lesson is for students to compose solid shapes to build new shapes.
In previous lessons, students described and built solid shapes from components. They used positional words to describe the relative location of shapes. In this lesson, students use solid shapes to compose shapes. Students may notice attributes of solid shapes in the context of building such as that a sphere is round and rolls. The focus is on listening to the language that students use to describe the shapes that they put together and their relative location (MP6).
- Compose solid shapes to build new shapes.
- Construyamos con figuras sólidas.
- Create a building with 6–8 solid shapes to display and have a way to hide it from students’ view.
- Gather materials from:
- Build Shapes, Stages 1-3
- Geoblocks, Stages 1-4
- Counting Collections, Stage 1
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1-4
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
How did students use positional words to describe what they built during this lesson?