Students participate in a How Many Do You See routine and then create their own dot images to use in a version of the routine in small groups. Understanding that numbers can be composed and decomposed in multiple ways is an important step towards adding and subtracting fluently within 5. When they make dot images and share with their partners students practice, through visualization (MP7), fluency for arithmetic facts within 5.
If students need additional support with the concepts in this lesson, refer back to Unit 5, Section A in the curriculum materials.
- Recognize compositions and decompositions of numbers to 5.
- Hagamos nuestros propios grupos de puntos.
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each student.
- Each student needs the dot image cards from the previous activity.
- Gather materials from:
- Roll and Add
- Find the Value of Expressions
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|