Dominós hasta 5
The purpose of this lesson is for students to develop fluency with adding and subtracting within 5 as they identify compositions and decompositions of numbers to 5.
In a previous lesson, students created their own dot images and identified different compositions and decompositions of numbers to 5. In this lesson, students work with dominoes. Students sort dominoes by total, which encourages them to recognize different compositions and decompositions of numbers to 5 and think about both the parts and the total at the same time. Students also compare the number of dots on the dominoes.
If students need additional support with the concepts in this lesson, refer back to Unit 5, Section B in the curriculum materials.
Activity 2: Comparemos puntos en dominós
- Recognize compositions and decompositions of numbers to 5.
- Clasifiquemos distintas maneras de formar números hasta 5.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Domino Cards
- Sorting Chart 1-5
- Create a set of domino cards from the blackline master for each group of 2. If actual dominoes are available, give students the dominoes which show a total of 5 or less.
- Each group of 2 needs the domino cards from the previous activity.
- Gather materials from:
- Roll and Add
- Find the Value of Expressions
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Students are expected to fluently add and subtract within 5 by the end of kindergarten. How does the work students do in this lesson prepare them to fluently add and subtract within 5?