Midamos en mitades y en cuartos de pulgada
Previously, students learned to measure lengths using separate rulers that were marked with halves or fourths of an inch. Here, they use what they know about fraction equivalence to read measurements from a ruler marked with both halves and fourths of an inch. Then, students consider lengths that could be named in more than one way.
In future lessons, this ruler will be used to measure objects and represent measurements in a line plot.
Activity 1: Mitades y cuartos
- Measure lengths using a ruler marked with both halves and fourths of an inch.
- Use equivalent fractions to describe length measurements.
- Midamos longitudes en mitades de pulgada y en cuartos de pulgada.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Notice and Wonder Rulers
- Each group of 2 needs the rulers from the previous lesson.
- Cut out a ruler from the blackline master for each student.
- Each student needs a ruler marked with half inches and quarter inches from the warm-up.
- Each student needs a ruler marked with half inches and quarter inches from the previous activity.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||5 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Estimate and Measure (1–4), Stage 3: Quarter Inches (Addressing)
- Target Measurements (2–5), Stage 2: Quarter Inches (Addressing)
- Creating Line Plots (2–5), Stage 1: Inches and Centimeters (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|