The purpose of this lesson is for students to practice adding, subtracting, and measuring length to create line plots.
This lesson is optional because it is an opportunity for extra practice that not all classes may need. In Activity 1, students learn stage 1 of the Creating Line Plots center. In this stage, called Inches and Centimeters, students Students measure up to 8 objects to the nearest centimeter or inch. They work with a partner to create a line plot to represent their measurement data. Then, they ask their partner 2 questions that can be answered based on their line plot. In Activity 2, students choose to continue working on Creating Line Plots, or choose between two previously introduced centers focused on estimation and measurement or a center focused on addition and subtraction.
- Add and subtract within 100.
- Estimate and measure length of objects.
- Let's measure to create line plots and add and subtract within 100.
- Gather collections of objects of various lengths. Collections could include pencils, crayons, math tools, or other classroom materials that have varying lengths.
Gather materials from:
- Estimate and Measure, Stage 2
- Number Puzzles, Stages 2–4
- Target Measurements, Stage 1
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
How have centers helped deepen student understanding of the important mathematical ideas of this unit? Are there centers from this unit that students would continue to benefit from if extended into the next unit?