This lesson reinforces students’ understanding of the relationship between the side lengths and the perimeter of a rectangle and their ability to reason multiplicatively in a geometric context.
- Action and Expression
- Solve problems involving the perimeter of rectangles using multiplicative comparison.
- Let’s solve problems about rectangles of different sizes.
- Each group of 2 needs a 12-inch pipe cleaner, an inch ruler, and tape.
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Can You Draw It? (1–5), Stage 4: Area and Perimeter (Supporting)
- Rectangle Rumble (3–5), Stage 3: Factors 1–10 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|