In earlier grades, students measured and estimated lengths in centimeters and meters to develop a sense of each. They learned that there are 100 centimeters in 1 meter. This lesson helps students see the relationship between centimeters and meters in terms of multiplicative comparison (MP7). Building on their work in previous lessons, students recognize 1 meter as being 100 times as long as 1 centimeter. They use this understanding to convert measurements in meters into centimeters.
- Express meters in terms of centimeters.
- Understand the relative size of meters and centimeters.
- Let’s explore lengths in meters and centimeters.
|Activity 1||25 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- How Close? (1–5), Stage 6: Multiply to 3,000 (Addressing)
- Compare (1–5), Stage 3: Multiply within 100 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|