The work of this lesson connects to previous lessons in which students solved Put Together/Take Apart story problems with unknowns in different positions and Compare, Difference Unknown story problems in a way that makes sense to them. They considered addition and subtraction equations that match the same story problem. In this lesson, students solve a variety of story problem types and write equations to match them. Students are encouraged, but not required, to write more than one equation for each story problem.
- Action and Expression
- Solve a variety of types of story problems.
- Write addition and subtraction equations to represent story problems.
- Resolvamos problemas-historia y escribamos ecuaciones que correspondan.
- Gather materials from previous centers:
- Capture Squares, Stage 1
- Shake and Spill, Stages 3 and 4
- What's Behind My Back, Stage 2