Sumemos hasta 1,000
In previous lessons, students used properties of operations, their understanding of the count sequence, and their understanding of place value to add within 1,000. They used different methods and representations to add by place and compose tens and hundreds.
In this lesson, students choose their own methods for adding within 1,000 and share their methods with their peers. They also have opportunities to explain why they chose their methods based on the numbers in an expression. They also analyze the relationship between two numbers in an equation to find an unknown value. Students use what they know about composing units to find unknown three-digit numbers when they are partially covered.
- Action and Expression
- Add numbers within 1,000 using strategies based on place value and the properties of operations.
- Encontremos los valores de sumas hasta 1,000 y expliquemos nuestras estrategias.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- How Did You Do That? Addition Card Sort
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Five in a Row: Addition and Subtraction (1–2), Stage 7: Add within 1,000 without Composing (Addressing)
- Number Puzzles: Addition and Subtraction (1–4), Stage 4: Within 100 with Composing (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|