The purpose of this lesson is for students to consider when they might use algorithms or other strategies to subtract.
Students have learned several subtraction algorithms in prior lessons. Now students take time to consider when it makes sense to use an algorithm and when it makes sense to use another strategy, such as those learned in grade 2. Students will consider how thinking about the numbers in the problem can help them use their knowledge of subtraction to flexibly subtract within 1,000.
- Subtract within 1,000 using algorithms or other strategies based on the numbers in the problem.
- Pensemos en cuándo usar algoritmos y cuándo usar otras estrategias para restar.
- Each group of 2 will need a paper clip.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Reflect on your experience with the Number Talks in the curriculum. What moves or questions have improved the learning for each of your students during this routine? What improvements would you make next time?
- How Close? (1–5), Stage 4: Add to 1,000 (Addressing)
- Number Puzzles: Addition and Subtraction (1–4), Stage 5: Within 1,000 (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
Teachers with a valid work email address can click here to register or sign in for free access to Cool Down, Teacher Guide, and PowerPoint materials.
|Student Task Statements||docx|
|Lesson Cover Page||docx|
|Cool Down||Log In|
|Teacher Guide||Log In|
|Teacher Presentation Materials||docx|